way to find your next home is to put an experienced
professional in charge of your search. Carriage Realty
and their team of experts have assembled a wealth of
information and helpful tools to assist you in the home
buying process. Whether you are a first time home buyer,
experienced buyer, or looking for investment property,
we have a real estate professional that can fit your
Easy as 1, 2, 3!
1. Our first priority is to
listen to you and determine your housing needs. Working
together we will assist you in finding the home of your
We can email, phone, fax to you new listings of any
MLS properties that match your buying criteria the day
they appear on the market. Through our extensive networking
system with other Realtors, many times you might be
contacted regarding a home that isn't even on the market.
This priority notification allows you to select which
homes you want to view before other buyers even know
3. To help you determine your purchase price offer, we
provide an in-depth comparative market analysis (CMA)
on homes in your area that have recently sold and are
currently listed. In addition, we will be with you every
step of the way through inspections, appraisals, and
Let's get started! Just visit our Contact
Us page. In
the case that we are unable to take your call or email
immediately, a real estate professional will contact
you within 24 hours to help you find your new home!
An online resource for changing your mailing address, utilities
Common Mistakes Home Buyers Make
a home is exciting, especially if it's your first. However,
it's important not to get caught up in the excitement and
make a mistake that you will end up regretting. Below are
five common mistakes to watch out for:
- Not Researching Your Neighborhood --You may have found the perfect house for your family, but
don't neglect the neighborhood. Is it a safe area? Are there
parks for your kids? Are there good schools nearby? Failing
to consider these variables could leave you with a major case
of buyer's remorse.
- Not Being Pre-Approved -- When
you're ready to buy a house, you should immediately seek pre-approval
for a mortgage loan. This will let you know how expensive
of a home you can afford, and you won't waste time looking
at houses that are outside of your price range. Also,
when you do begin making offers on houses, being pre-approved
will give you an advantage over other bidders that still need
to go through the approval process.
- Overextending Your Budget -- It's
important to take a close look at your budget before buying
a house. Many financial experts recommend that your housing
costs (including mortgage payments, insurance and utilities)
shouldn't make up more than 30% of your income. If you're
paying much more than that, you are going to run into problems.
- Letting Emotion Take Over -- Buying
a house is a very emotional experience. But in order to make
the best decision, you need to keep emotion out as much as
you can. Specifically, it's important to avoid showing emotion
and eagerness when talking to a seller. If the seller knows
that you're desperate to get his home, he'll know that he
can get away with over charging you. It's also important to
rein in your emotions once you think you've found the right
house. You need to get it inspected, and you need to
be open to the possibility that there are major problems with
the house, otherwise, you'll end up talking yourself into
taking a bad deal.
- Making a Big Purchase After You've
Applied for a Home Loan But Before You Close -- Once you've
been approved for a loan, do not make any big purchases that
require payments, such as a car, furniture or electronics.
These payments will change your financial standing and could
cause the bank to lower the amount you're preapproved for.
a home can be a great experience. Keep these tips in mind
and you'll avoid some of the most common traps that many home
buyers fall into.
- Send change of address cards to: Post Office, Charge Accounts, Subscriptions, Friends, Relatives
- Make arrangements with moving company
- Disconnect utilities, get refund for any deposits made and advise where final bills are to be sent: Water, Electric, Gas, Telephone, Fuel, Trash Removal
- Cancel deliveries: Milk, Newspapers, Other
- Transfer memberships: Church, Clubs, Civic Organizations
- Check with insurance agent on coverage of life, car and household goods in route to new home
- Obtain school records for children
- Obtain birth and baptismal records for all family members
- Obtain medical records
- Obtain legal records
- Check to see if your Will must be rewritten when moving across state lines
- Veterans notify your draft board or VA office
- Transfer bank accounts: Checking, Savings, Safe Deposit Box
- Have bank recommend affiliate in new city
Before you choose a Realtor, think about this
• Ask for the Realtor's credentials and how they affect you as a buyer.
• How many homes has the agents sold in your area? Carriage Realty specializes in Washington County and the surrounding areas. Many of our agents are licensed in MN and WI. Make sure that your agent knows your selling area.
• Is the compensation rate negotiable? Real estate fees are always negotiable. Carriage Realty does not charge as much as the big national chains but is also not a discount Broker. We provide full real estate service at a reasonable fee.
• Is the Realtor willing to put their sales strategy in writing? The agent should not only have a sales strategy but implement and stand behind it.
• Are there any other fees
that I will be charged by your company? There are
many fees associated with selling your home. However, many
real estate companies will reduce their compensation rate
only to charge you an additional administrative or broker
the agents status with the Dept of Commerce Check to
see if your Realtor has had any or enforcement actions or violations
against their licence.
• Get The
Home Buyer's & Sellers Handbook from the office
of MN Attorney General Lori Swanson (FREE)